From: James Brennan email@example.com
Apple now offering education model 13-inch MacBook Air for $999
That is correct, Apple now has a new Education only configuration of the 13.3 inch MacBook Air in 5 packs. Also, we have a 5 pack offering for the 11.6 inch MacBook for $929 (per MacBook Air).
MacBook Air 11.6-inch 5-Pack, 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 2GB memory, 64GB flash storage. EDU Price: $4,645 / 5-pack ($929 each)
MacBook Air 13.3-inch 5-Pack, 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 2GB memory, 64GB flash storage EDU Price: $4,995 / 5-pack ($999 each)
In my opinion, the MacBook Air is ideal for education. Here are my thoughts:
1) It has an internal battery, which not only enables longer battery life, but should help lower support costs, battery replacement, etc.
2) Flash storage is ideal for many reasons. Firstly, applications launch faster. The "Instant On", which we've come to love about the iPad, is a huge plus in the MacBook Air. No long boot times, or waking from sleep. In fact, rebooting the MacBook Air is extremely fast. It helps extend the hours battery life per charge. Lastly, the hard disk has no moving parts.
3) Although the MacBook Air does not have an optical drive, I think over time you will find that you hardly need one. I have an 11 inch MacBook Air, and I haven't used my external DVD. I use the Mac App Store most of the time, and occasionally download software from the web.
4) Aluminum Unibody shell not only elegant design, but very durable.
5) It has all the finishing touches, backlit keyboard, built in camera. latest intel processors, and Thunderbolt.
The lack of an optical drive, a hard disk with no moving parts, internal battery, and aluminum unibody shell should help Education lower the incidental damage rate and support costs. The MacBook Air has a great story in terms of Total Cost of Ownership.
Follow me: @boobelle